The Constitution of the State of Georgia says:
The General Assembly shall meet in regular session on the second Monday in January of each year, or otherwise as provided by law, and may continue in session for a period of no longer than 40 days in the aggregate each year.
This hold over from the days when most legislators were farmers is held out as the lone hope of those who fear what actions this body of representatives may take. Well, today is it, #40 — you can't go past midnight, cannot go past go, you must stop.
But, in Days 40 of past years, lots does happen. Stay tuned.
For a warm up, here are some MSP (Main Stream Press) items on Day 40
- AJC – Capitol workers scurry as day 40 rolls in
- AJC – Doors closed on budget work
- AP – Budget negotiations down to the wire
- AJC – Tricks, Treats fare for last day
- Thomasville (AP) – Session reaches final day
- Gwinnett – Full plate on last day of session